Monday, March 12, 2007

Demarco


Hi guys,
I have a new friend. His name is Demarco. I haven't met him yet but my mum and his mum have talked on the phone and I sent Demarco an email yesterday! He is 6 years old and he has type 1 diabetes. He is very smart and he wrote a letter to his pancreas - I asked him if I could let you all read it and he said yes - so he is nice and kind too!!

Here it is....

Dear Pancreas,

You and I were good friends before my second birthday. You helped me grow from a little tiny baby into a big boy who could walk. My mum had planned a Bob the Builder Cake for the 23 November, my 2nd birthday. For some reason though, every time I thought of that cake I didn’t want it as much as I used to.

On the 1st November, you stopped being my friend. Mum stopped talking about the Bob the Builder cake. I didn’t know I had a pancreas. I didn’t know what you did, or where you lived. I thought you were going to help me grow into a big man.

Now that I am 6, I know what islet cells are, and I know my body destroyed them by accident. It was a pretty big accident though, Pancreas, I looked at a picture on my Mum’s computer. You look like a bean! A trouble-making bean…

I have learnt lots about you now and why you stopped working. Just like when a car runs out of petrol. I have 4 needles a day now to replace the insulin you can’t make anymore. My mum’s eyes looked so sad (even though she is always happy) whenever she had to give me my medicine, so now I have decided to do it myself. What I just wanted to ask was, I know the doctors’ are helping, I know JDRF are working super hard and I know everyone wants a cure. If one day, please, you could just wake up again, and let a couple of islet cells escape, maybe then you will remember what to do and how to work again.

If you can’t do it though, I understand. I know how it feels to be different from the other kids. You must be feeling the same way, living so close to the liver and the stomach. I hope they don’t tease you. One good thing is that, even though you stopped working, I got to go in a plane and see Parliament House and see John Howard! Not many kids without Type 1 Diabetes could say that. I’m not angry I have Type 1 Diabetes, and I’m not angry at you. I am really patient and have learnt how to wait for scientists to help you work again. I want to be a zoo keeper when I grow up. I have heard that Diabetics can go blind after a long time with no cure…if I went blind, I couldn’t feed the lions or they would eat me!

I believe in you, Pancreas.

Your owner,
Demarco

Demarco also agreed to write or draw special stuff for me to show you regularly!!

Licks,
Aramis

1 comment:

Simba and Jazzi said...

mmmm bob the builder cake. I bet one day you'll be the best zoo keeper in the whole wide world.

Simba xx