Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Little orange box


Last night I discovered just how much I want Carbi to be living with us and alerting! I woke up at 1am thinking: "Why is my back wet?" That was quickly followed by a bit of swearing as I realised that James was unconscious, covered with sweat. When I checked his level I discovered that he was 1.8.

I had to then climb out of bed (not an easy feat considering we have a loft bed like the one pictured above) to get a can of soft drink. After yelling at James a few times, which is the only way to get him to respond when he is that low, he drunk the whole can.

15 mins later he was still only 2.0.

I then decided to break out the little orange box that contains the glucagon.

After injecting the glucagon I decided to wait 10 mins and then call an ambulance if James’ level stayed low. I thought that I should clear a path to the ladder of our bed in case the ambulance officers had to come in (we have been being slack as we know from the time we get Carbi we will have to keep the room spotless!). On the way down the ladder I slipped. Luckily I landed on the next step down but I had this image of me falling and either breaking something or knocking myself out and then Mum and Dad coming in and finding us both unconscious!!!

Anyways, with two minutes to spare James’ level reached 2.9 so I knew it was on the way up. After James was mobile again we had to strip the bed as you could see James’ outline in sweat! James had a shower, and we both went back to sleep.

Hopefully Carbi starts alerting as soon as possible so that he can let us know before James gets this bad and then we won’t have to use the lovely orange box.

~ ONLY 5 DAYS TO GO ~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

... and we slept right through all the drama!!
Mum and Dad